Eagles of Death Metal frontman Jesse Hughes was turned away from the Bataclan on the eve of the anniversary of the Paris terrorist attacks by the venue’s management who branded the singer “sick”.
But the singer has denied trying to get into the show on the night Sting re-opened the 150-year-old venue.
EODM were performing at the Paris venue on November 13 last year when it was attacked by Islamic extremist suicide bombers who killed 89 people.
Mr Hughes sparked controversy in the months after the atrocity by suggesting Bataclan security staff were complicit in the attacks.
But the band’s management said the venue’s version was “false”.
Jules Frutos, manager of the theatre, told the Press Association: “They tried to enter the venue and they are persona non grata. They are not welcome after what he said about the security.
“Even if he came back on what he said. I mean, this man is just sick. That’s all.”
Mr Frutos said the band’s attitude shows “no respect for the victims”.
The band’s management said Mr Hughes was in Paris with family, friends and fans to commemorate the “tragic loss of life that happened right in front of his eyes during his show”.
Marc Pollack, of The MGMT Company, accused Mr Frutos of “tainting a wonderful opportunity that could’ve been used to spread peace and love”.
“Jesse never even tried entering the club for Sting’s show tonight,” he told US magazine Billboard.
The rock star sparked anger after comments to the Fox Business Network in March suggesting that six guards at the Bataclan never came to work on the night of the attack, and “it seems rather obvious that they had a reason not to show up”.
Afterwards in a statement, he said: “I humbly beg forgiveness from the people of France, the staff and security of the Bataclan, my fans, family, friends and anyone else hurt or offended by the absurd accusations I made.
“My suggestions that anyone affiliated with the Bataclan played a role in the events of November 13 are unfounded and baseless – and I take full responsibility for them.”